Over the last year I’ve had the privilege of speaking with over 100 CrossFit Affiliates and learn a little bit about their operation. The funniest part is that almost every affiliate has the exact same questions, concerns and statements:
“I just don’t have the time for programming”
“We are an average gym with regular people”
“I leave it until Sunday night (programming) and I’m not really sure if I’m putting as much effort into it as I should”
If you own your own gym you know how much work goes into running it and you know that as the owner you probably wear multiple hats. Programming is very time consuming outsourcing your programming can take quite a bit of time and worry off your plate. Below I outline all the commonly asked questions I get from Affiliate owners.
Q: Do I need special equipment to use your programming?
A: No you do not. Most people associate the Conjugate System with bands, chains, and specialty bars. If you have those things we can certainly use them, but they are not a requirement.
Q: How far in advance will I receive my programming?
A: You will receive 4 weeks of programming at a time. You will receive your programming within 48 hours of starting. Each 4 week block can be sent as early as needed though.
Q: Do you run cycles?
A: Specific Cycles are commonly associated with linear periodization, and with the Conjugate System the only linear part of our training is speed work, which goes in 3-week pendulum waves. Max Effort Work (heavier lifting) rotates weekly. Unilateral/GPP work also rotates weekly. Linear periodization (a topic for another blog) simply isn’t the best way to train and we’ve found people accommodate to movements after as many as 6 exposures so it’s important to have a great deal of variance with your training. Each block of programming comes with a specific focus to ensure our athletes are bringing up all areas of their fitness and improving their limiting factors. Each exercise has a different value for each individual.
Q: Do you program for the CrossFit Open?
A: Put simply, the CF Open is a test of aerobic capacity. My training is a well-rounded plan where we are able to bring up multiple areas of our fitness concurrently. Aerobic capacity, gymnastics fatigue training, and cycling light barbells through range of motion are staples in this programming making a need for “specialization” not necessary for the general population.
Q: What about Competitor Training?
A: We offer a Competitor Training Blog that runs off the same template as our Affiliates. This training, however, is separate for your Affiliates programming so athletes must be proficient with higher skill gymnastics movements and weightlifting. This training is geared specifically on those that want to take their results in the CF Open to the next level so there is more emphasis on aerobic capacity.
Q: What about athletes that only train specific days?
A: A well-rounded plan has to have some semblance of organization meaning it’s very difficult to plan for your 2x a week athletes without messing up your most committed 3-5x a week athletes. With my programming we do train specific energy systems and strength modalities on certain days, but there is emphasis on GPP most other days so athletes will make progress regardless of what days they show up to the gym.
Q: What about CrossFit Benchmark Workouts, Hero WODs?
A: Benchmark workouts are fit into the programming systematically from an energy system standpoint. Typically benchmark workouts repeat on a 12-16 week basis. If you have a particular workout planned for say, a holiday, I can easily add this in by request. Along with staple CF Benchmarks, BP has roughly 30 “named” tester workouts as well as roughly 30 tester strength movements that repeat on the same basis.
Q: How will I know the intent of each block of programming?
A: There is breakdown of each of block of programming included with a list all testing pieces. This breakdown includes information that will be important to your athletes as well as your coaches.
Q: What type of improvements have you seen with your programming?
A: With my affiliates that have been with me the longest I’ve seen 100-150# increases in squat and deadlift (this isn’t an exaggeration), drastic improvements in benchmark conditioning pieces. At my own Affiliate we have close to 20 ladies that can deadlift in the mid 300s and close to 10 guys deadlift 500+ and we are consistently in the top 50 every year in the CrossFit Open.
Q: Is there a contract?
A: There is no contract, but I do ask that you give the programming 12 weeks before making your final decision whether or not it works for your affiliate.
Q: What about information about equipment, space size, average class size?
A: Each affiliate receives a full questionnaire upon purchasing their programming. In this questionnaire there is details that help me put together your programming so it matches all your needs, equipment constraints, and average class size.
A few things to expect:
- There is absolutely zero guesswork with this programming. You and your coaches will know exactly the intent of each training session and will be able to articulate that to your athletes if they ask. You will also exactly how long each task-domain workout should take.
- Less emphasis on movements that may not be as valuable to the overall health of your members, but opportunities to work on higher skill movements in controlled settings.
- A plan that is systematic and well-thought out. The risk of overuse and overtraining has been completely minimized with this plan.
- Attention to detail. Your programming will include a complete class plan with time-layouts that has a warm-up/mobility that is relevant to the training of the day. Strength modalities are balanced with energy systems work in terms of volume and intensity.
- A full reference page that is close to 7 pages in length that has information about my programming, links to all YouTube videos, account information, as well as content to enhance your coaches knowledge of strength and conditioning.
- Your athletes to make serious progress! After 12 weeks of using Box Programming the value of this training will be proved to your athletes and anyone that had doubts will now be a believer. Your athletes will healthier and more fit than they ever have.
For more information feel free to book a free call.
JOIN THE NEWSLETTER